Tuesday, May 13, 2014

...fiction and folds


So why do I love fiction so much? 

To me, not liking fiction is like saying "I don't like chocolate."  WHAT? 

But there are good friends of mine who don't like either fiction or chocolate and they are totally wonderful, normal people.  But hey, I don't like math.  Why?

Because it's too unclear.  That's right.  Unclear!  ...at least for a brain like mine.

I mean seriously, you give a brain like mine a word problem (I remember this one vividly!) like this:

If Mr. Brown walked 3 miles in one hour, how long would it take him to walk 18 miles?

Seriously?  How can I possibly answer that?  I need more information!  Did he take a nap?  Was the road more uphill, thus slowing him down at some point?  Did he stop for lunch? 
18 miles is a LONG walk!  He'd have to stop for at least water? 

I vividly remember where I sat in the classroom and where my mind went with that question.  My imagination was watching Mr. Brown, in his brown tweed suit with his tie loosened, walk down the road.  It was a country dirt road with a gorgeous spring green meadow on the left side.  Mr. Brown was in his 70's but in very fit condition.  He noticed with peaceful delight the perfect shade tree where he could take a mid-day nap. 
He was very well educated, maybe even a college professor.  But his wisdom came from not missing the moment. 

I instantly loved Mr. Brown.

How long did it take him?  WHO CARES?!  (You're laughing at me, but I'm grinning back.)

See, fiction is like a folded napkin.

Yes, a napkin is made for a purpose.  To protect your clothes and wipe your mouth, thus protecting your fellow diners from an unpleasant view.  ;)

... but if you take a boring photo, a boring napkin.  And then realize....



...someone, somewhere, chose to add color to a napkin.  And that one simple change to the utilitarian item inspired me.


I saw something I've never tried before!

Margaret (my artist friend and mother of the mom-to-be) and I found these fun little safari pencils and some just-too-cute little paper flowers that we chose to combine to give as party favors.  So...
Fiction = What if?
And then...
Oh, hey... these are feeling "sweet jungle safari party"...
Wouldn't it be fun to bouquet them somehow?
Sometimes the simplest things...



Get me SO excited!

Fiction...  take an ordinary Mr. Brown.  Add a twist.  A fold.  Some spring green.  

Maybe we were made for more than just getting things done.

The greatest storyteller of all time said, "Consider the lillies..... and don't worry so much." 

Matthew 6:28-29  "And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? 28"And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, 29yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.…

I'm just saying, there's nothing wrong with counting the flowers

...  just don't forget to smell them!




love, Lydia


©2014 Lydia D. Crouch





No comments:

Post a Comment