Monday, December 8, 2014

... purchase-very-carefully-all-sales-final-no-return

I Corinthians 7: 1-7  Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

When I glanced ahead, I thought "piece of cake" on  this passage.  But it's never a piece of cake.  It's always real meat with the Bible.  There's always something to really chew on.

 My marriage happens to be in a really sweet place at the moment.

On December 1, my husband gave me the first of 25 surprises.  They are each amazing in their own way, but this one was a bonus.  He'd already given me one for this day.  See where it says, Day 6 - Surprise 7?

Paul was right in that it is less complicated to be single.   Marriage complicates things sometimes.

It's so easy to blame my day on Rich because he's there.  Every day is not paradise.  But one thing we talk about often is that we keep our eyes toward each other.

It's odd.  There are some men who find married women more attractive than single women.  It's flattering for a second and then disgusting for all the rest of time.  Why would I give up a man who works all day with women and yet calls me to tell me where he is...comes home to me even if I'm still in sweats with no makeup?

We are not wealthy, but I am completely spoiled.  I would take a mocha walnut cookie over a new car any day when it comes with the fact that my husband wants to share his life WITH me – thinks about me even when he's just stopping for a cookie at the bakery.

My husband keeps his word.

Now part of that is because of the passage above.  Marriage is not always convenient.  Marriage is not always time efficient when you've got a big list of "to do" items.  Marriage is about a long haul commitment through some bothersome obstacles.  Marriage is between a man and woman.  Marriage is a purchase-very-carefully-all-sales-final-no-return commitment.

Now STOP.  THIS is the day to seek God for your marriage.

If you are single – STOP! Do not believe the lie that you are less desirable.  Girl, this is who you are:
from Beth Moore Simulcast 2014

If you have been divorced, STOP listening to lies that You are less loveable, less holy, less desirable to God.  And please don't call Him a liar by saying "You can't love me."  Um... HE said He does.  That's what HE said.  He wants you to move on WITH Him. 

Let's think about who God used to write his WORD to us.   Um... Abraham.  Made some really stupid marriage decisions.  David...same.  Paul was a murderer.  WHY?  Why would God let them tell his story?       Grace...  they understood it.  They didn't cover their sin.  They talked about it.  Let God change them.  Walked forward TOWARD Him.  Walked on WITH Him.

Sorry for the tyrade.  I just get passionately angry at "us" when "we" fail to see how precious forgiveness is.  I was self-righteous for so very long.  There's absolutely no reason on earth I should have been given a faithful husband.

That's the point, isn't it?  Life is just life.  God let's us live with our choices, but He never turns His back when we seek Him.

Dearest Friend, Jesus.  You understand marriage.  It's the whole pattern of your relationship with the church.  Help me love my husband the way you want your bride to love You.  Help us as a couple be a portrait of how you view your church.  Father, please... even in this moment... heal the deep wounds of my friends who've suffered the pain of divorce.  Restore all that the divorce ripped away.  Bless their children and let them be page turners to new chapters where things/their own marriages  will be written out differently.  Mentor all of us in what a good marriage looks like.  Help us see that things we've tagged onto that picture that don't belong there.

Thank you.  I have no idea why you listened to my plea when I asked you to choose for me... except Grace.  You chose far, far better than I deserve.  Could you please bless my husband today at work?  Could you help me love him purely, passionately, with a bucket of fun?  Could you please cover my children with your protection; keep them pure and focused on you until the time you bring their mates?  And then, would you please let their marriages cause them to be even more focused and pure toward you as you hold their marriages in your arms?

Lord, may these marriages - may my marriage - bring you great joy.  I would so very much love that as a gift to you...   Amen

Well, I'd better go.  My husband is planning a surprise for me today.  I want to be ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment