Saturday, September 13, 2014

Start counting...

Divisions in the church.

That's the heading over I Cor 1:10-16 in my Bible.

I Cor 1:11-13

My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you.  What I mean is this:  One of you says, "I follow Paul", another, "I follow Apollos"; still another, "I follow Christ."  

Is Christ divided?  Was Paul crucified for you?  Were you baptized into the name of Paul?  I am thankful.......  (let's just stop right there.)


 As a mom, I can just hear the silence in the room when this letter gets read.  She's counting to calm her frustration.
The guilty party react in various ways.  The avoiders glare at Chloe for telling on them.  The pot stirrers walk behind whispering how Paul should not be confronting them in public like that.  The contrite stare at the floor.  The defiant are preparing their defenses even before the accusation is complete.

But one thing is for sure... they're guilty.

But I keep wondering who was in Chloe's household?  Am I a woman like her... someone whose household is respected enough that if we sent word to Paul, he'd respond trusting the information is a true concern and needs to be addressed?  Am I wise in a verse 5 kind of way?

Who was Chloe, Lord?  Am I anything like her?  Do I need to be more like her?

Then Paul drops the questions, like a mama who has stood her children in the corner after they wrote on the walls with crayons....Is Christ divided?  Was Paul crucified for you?

Well?

          divisions in the church..........   a need for unity...........  

"I go to the first church of the biggest youth group"  "I go to the same church as the famous singer."  "I go to the exciting church where they dress like hipsters and everyone is cutting edge."  "I go to the church where the Bible is really preached but I don't really have to do anything about it."

Is Christ divided?  Somehow, I think Christ knows His own.

He recognizes the handwriting of the wall writers.
 



How many times have I been a pot stirrer?  Just a little comment here, just a little whining there. 

How many times have I tried the mold the church into my own image?











Was Paul crucified for you?  Was anybody famous crucified for me?  No ....  only Christ was crucified for me.  I was baptized in the name of Christ, not Paul, not Beth Moore, not Kay Arthur, not Francis Chan, not Andy Stanley......

I am thankful........    me too, Paul.  I am thankful. 


Here's this problem.... a BIG one .....  sandwiched in Paul's thankful heart.  Paul was thankful.  I have a feeling that was a HUGE part of God's being able to use him.  Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment