Friday, November 14, 2014

...let's talk about Netflix

Odd that after posting yesterday, I was exercising and watching an old TV show on Netflix.  Suddenly one confused superhero who is attracted to another confused superhero is confronted and almost killed by yet another confused superhero who was a former lover.

Superhero soap opera.

I usually don't watch shows like this carefully... or at all.  I like decorator shows or adventure.  But sometimes I find something just to fill the space while I work.  I leave the room often to do my daily chores and loosely follow the story line.  And I admit, I got sucked in by the suspense.  This particular show had tons of twists and turns which I enjoy trying to figure out.

But it has gotten really dark and sad.

 I'll fast forward to the end scene of the season to see the final result and not watch the rest.  It's not worth having these images in my mind.  I have the freedom NOT to watch this.  (Netflix is a neutral.  I can choose what I watch.  But if I'm too tempted, then I should not subscribe to the service.  I am free to choose.  Another thought for another day.)

But the sadness came in this.  Superhero #1 was a blond female.  Superhero #2 a Hollywood face male.  Superhero #3  (or rather supervillain) an exotic middle eastern brunette female.  #1&2 had been dating.  Time passed.  Tragedy.  Separation.  Then blond and brunette end up kissing in a reunion where brunette will either kill blond or let her live.  That's right.  The females.  Making out on screen while confused and tormented Superhero #2 watches from a distance with that gorgeous face that makes us want to support him... no matter what stupid choices he makes.

What makes me saddest?  It's this.  That I'm more eager to excuse one form of adultery for another.  Have I become so jaded by sex outside marriage on TV that it seems normal to me?  More easily excused?

Even sadder?  These very real actors who end up playing those roles...  Real people getting any morality they may have had when they first entered the industry totally contracted out of them.

Be careful where you sign your name.

But, according to the word, I do not judge them.  I ask for an intercessor's heart.  But nor do I support them just because I want to be entertained.

The verses this morning (in context of the whole chapter)  call me in very clear terms to draw a line in terms of the fellowship of believers -vs- non believers.

I Cor 5:12-13 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church? 13But those who are outside, God judges.

We are responsible to confront and even make firm decisions about those within the church.  We are to intercede and weep for those who have not met Christ, but leave the judging to God.

In most cases, we do the exact opposite.  Why is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment