Thursday, October 2, 2014

what's wrong with this picture?




I COR 3 : 1-3  And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ. 2I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able, 3for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?…

In my house, only mature people get to drink out the crystal.   Maturity has nothing to do with age.  It simply has to do with being able to handle what's been put in your hands.  I would not give a baby her milk in a goblet. 

Nope.  Wouldn't do it.


But every time I read this, it rubs me a little the wrong way.  I've been trying to follow Christ for over 30 years.  I've led Bible studies, done "stuff"...  

I've made it a goal to be really transparent.  And I even see the painful cuts and scratches I've received along the way as the etchings of something beautiful now.


But if I read this passage at face value, I need to grow some more.

for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?…

...milk in a goblet?

Lord, please continue to show me how silly it is to walk in comparison to others, especially as I head into these deadline packed next few weeks.  Let me, yes, stay transparent.  But please let there be something of substance inside this vessel.  I'll leave that up to you.  I love you more today than ever.  Amen







No comments:

Post a Comment