Wednesday, January 21, 2015

a long obedience in the same direction

Back at it.  I Corinthians.  A bit boring to me at the moment.  But that's ok.

I COR 8:4  So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols:

Food sacrificed to idols.  Sigh...  since we don't have that same practice today, but since everything is in scripture for a reason, I'm looking for the bottom line here.

What is an idol?  What is a sacrifice?  What is the unhealthy connection?

idol |ˈīdl|
noun
an image or representation of a god used as an object of worship.
• a person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered : movie idol Robert Redford
....or the Seahawks, or chocolate, or even my favorite Bible teacher

So, if an idol is an object of worship, what is worship?  THAT question is a whole semester class at Bible School.  But just for this morning, I'll use the dictionary.

worship |ˈwər sh əp|
noun
the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity : the worship of God | ancestor worship.
• the acts or rites that make up a formal expression of reverence for a deity; a religious ceremony or ceremonies : the church was opened for public worship.
• adoration or devotion comparable to religious homage, shown toward a person or principle : Krushchev threw the worship of Stalin overboard.


STILL BORED?  me too.  But there's got to be something here.  

... a deity...  Worship is the attention and respect I give to something or someone I perceive to have unlimited authority and power over my life.  No relationship is implied here...  not for food sacrificed to idols.  Fear maybe.  Even thrill seeking maybe.  

sacrifice |ˈsakrəˌfīs|
noun
an act of slaughtering an animal or person or surrendering a possession as an offering to God or to a divine or supernatural figure : they offer sacrifices to the spirits | the ancient laws of animal sacrifice.
• an animal, person, or object offered in this way.
• an act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy : we must all be prepared to make sacrifices.
• Christian Church Christ's offering of himself in the Crucifixion.
• Christian Church the Eucharist regarded either (in Catholic terms) as a propitiatory offering of the body and blood of Christ or (in Protestant terms) as an act of thanksgiving.

If they were sacrificing, something had to die or be given up.  There was some cost involved.

Am I giving up something as an act of respect or submission to anything or anyone other than God himself?  

Am I feasting off of other's efforts to do that?


This commitment to I Corinthians makes me think of a book title called 
'A Long Obedience in the Same Direction'           

I don't know who wrote it.  I've never read it.  But I remember seeing it on the the spine of a hardback book.  Those words shook me.  Changed me.

Am I willing to walk down the same road for a very long time in order to follow Christ?  Or will I veer off toward the amusement parks and food booths of my life?

Being aware of what's off the the side is being alert.  But the long haul obedience is all in where my feet go, which happens one step at a time.  

My feet eventually go toward what I look at most.  Where is my focus?

I've got some questions to ask myself about idols.  Where am I looking for so long that my feet start to follow?  Am I sacrificing (giving up life) my food (daily energy) to idols (God replacements)?

That's all for today.  Gotta think.






No comments:

Post a Comment