Friday, January 23, 2015

something to chew on

I COR 8:7-8   But not everyone possesses this knowledge. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat sacrificial food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

 This morning, I'm wondering what this means.  Since I don't live in a culture that sacrifices food to gods, I don't really identify here.

But the point is, they were taking part of something that they thought would bring them closer to God.

What things do I do that are cultural; that are religious, yes, but effective, no?

Some people are still so accustomed to idols

...so accustomed to a culture of idols that they don't even consider that it doesn't actually work to bring us closer to God.

The closest parallel in my own life might be financial giving.  Sometimes I feel that if I'm giving toward a ministry that God will be pleased - then I'm closer to Him.

Money, like food, is a neutral.  What I do with money doesn't draw me closer to God.  Jesus Christ and His work on the cross draws me closer to God.

Christ - and only Christ - draws me closer to God.  He is as near to me when we are financially strapped as He is when we have extra to share.

My Christian culture, though, implies differently.  (I realize this isn't a perfect parallel to this passage, but it's helping me think through it.)

But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

Maybe this is why Jesus chose a meal to correct this perspective.  At the Last Supper he said that whenever we eat or drink to remember that His blood shed on the cross, His body broken–that sacrifice and that alone brings us into relationship with God... not food sacrificed, no.  Christ sacrificed.  His friends would have really understood that cultural reference.

And now that I look at it, He didn't intend us to just sip from a thimble and swallow a pill sized portion of bread all facing forward once a month either.  He offered a meal,  a continual feast, with conversation and chewing and passing dishes  .... Whenever...
you eat or drink! 
This implies often, habitual, continued. 

This particular Southern breakfast was so full of the presence of Christ that it is a picture of true communion.  We talked, cried, laughed as we shared what Christ had been doing in our lives since we last saw each other.

 Whenever, whatever...we eat or drink.  It's time to remember... and be REALLY thankful.


I never would have put that last supper in this cultural reference before today, but the fact is that Jesus is always culturally relevant because He cares about us!  We exist in our culture and He speaks right into it because that's where we exist - even if we pretend we don't.

So, today, as I eat my salad for lunch, my granola bar for snack, my coffee for warmth... Please help me remember what you've done for me, Jesus.  THANK YOU!




No comments:

Post a Comment