Thursday, January 8, 2015

Is God going to mess with my chocolate?

I Cor 8:1-3   1Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that “We all possess knowledge.” But knowledge puffs up while love builds up. 2Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know. 3But whoever loves God is known by God.

Well, here I am again.  Back at it.  The new year means my daughter's 16th birthday.  After we celebrate tomorrow, Rich and I are going to (can you guess?) alter our weight.

So it's only appropriate that this next section is about food.  LOL.  Is God about to mess with my chocolate?


HOWEVER, there's a foundation for looking at food sacrificed to idols and it seems to be motivation.

What I see in these verses is that knowledge focuses inward.  Navel gazing self absorption.  It puffs up.

While love, on the other hand, love builds up........    others.

Knowledge isn't there for the sake of showing how smart we are.  Knowing as we ought to know is about being known by God.

Whoever loves God is known by God.  

When we say, "Oh, I know her really well!"  it infers a close friendship.

I want a close friendship with God!

Whoever loves God is known by God.  Which means I can't be known by God if I'm only looking only to my own interests. 

(If you have "MY UTMOST FOR HIS HIGHEST"  read January 8.  It deals with why God asks us to give certain things up.  It's not just to make us do without.  Hey!  I just discovered a facebook link.  You can read it here:  https://www.facebook.com/MyUtmostForHisHighest.  Funny, I "just happened" to read "Ozzie" today–my nickname for Oswald Chambers.  Haven't touched it in months. I love how it "just happened" to give me insight into this passage I'm studying. wink.)

So this is the foundation  of what Paul is about to say about food sacrificed to idols.

idols.  sigh.  I guess I'll have to look at idolatry in my life next.

Won't be able to blog tomorrow since it's a full day celebrating my girl starting with breakfast.

But January 10th, I have a feeling, will be interesting.





No comments:

Post a Comment