Tuesday, June 2, 2015

from grumbling to grace...


I Cor 10: 9b-10  We should not test Christ,b as some of them did—and were killed by snakes. 10And do not grumble, as some of them did—and were killed by the destroying angel.

 hmmm...

I'm aware that I usually "blog-begin" with grumbling.  I start with something I don't like about myself.  Something I'm frustrated with.  Something that confuses me and makes me feel inadequate.

But God....

I've been thinking about what grieves the Holy Spirit.  I think I'm beginning to see ...  a) testing Christ grieves the Holy Spirit.  b) grumbling grieves the Holy Spirit.

He grieves as we would grieve our child if they were teens and started cutting themselves.  He grieves the child who cowers in the corner convinced of danger in the shadows instead of trusting in His arms.  He aches for them to be fear free, care free, doubt free, distortion free.

He grieves.  He aches.  He weeps...  He cares.

Testing Christ... refusing to take Him at face value as someone who keeps His promises, we keep saying, "Prove yourself by giving me what I want.  If you do that, then I'll know you love me..."

Grumbling... refusing to receive His gifts and yet accusing Him of not providing.

He has given us, through the Holy Spirit, the ability to thankful.  In all things.  And yet I cower in the corner.

I drew this sketch last Sunday. 
The bowl being on her head was accidental.  I just ran out of room on the page.  Then Laina pointed out how funny it was.  So, going along with the humor, I redrew her arm (originally down) to hold the bowl.   There on the page, I saw my prayer.  I want to be a bowl filled to overflowing.  Serving in beauty.  His clothes of righteousness for me.

 I keep thinking about how I don't want to grieve the Holy Spirit.  So I began to look up those verses from my recent blog.

Eph 4: 29  Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs/at the moment, that it may benefit those who listen. 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

I read the whole chapter and into Eph 5.  Here's this crucial phrase that could go unnoticed, buried either in explanation of what was just said or introducing what the following means - or both.

If it refers to the prior, then these things grieve the Holy Spirit:
unwholesome talk

If introducing what comes after, then these things grieve the Holy Spirit:
bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.

The beginning of the chapter sets the framework:
 
...live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

BOTTOM LINE!  We grieve the Holy Spirit when we criticize people who, following Christ, disagree with how to serve him.  That grieves the Spirit.  It's like asking Him to stab himself.  It's the same ONE SPIRIT that dwells in each person who follows Him.  So whether I sit in a chapel pew, a square pew, a carved pew or a third world stump,  the WORD OF GOD tells me speak ONLY what builds UP his body and not to grieve him by tearing it down.

Dear Father, forgive me for doing this; for planting seeds that cause others to grieve you.  Holy Spirit, come cleanse my mouth and all the life-wasting motivation behind what I say.  Release me from bitterness as it is the slippery thing in my church going life... and please forgive me for slander even as I preface it with, "Oh bless their heart..." or "I'm concerned that..."

I live in daily need of His cleansing power of forgiveness. 

Still.  Still, He pours out his blessings.  He clothes me - us - in beauty and praise.


I finished this painting Saturday.  The story behind it is like marriage, intimate.  So I won't be sharing it right now.

But it's also there because I hope, I think, it's a message from the heart of Christ to every girl.



We are made to exhibit Him.  Holy is the Lord.  Holy.  He could leave us in our bitterness. But, no.  He clothes us in robes of righteousness.

In the end, it's simple.  He is grieved when we act like the cross is not enough.  When we look at others for definition and get angry when they don't give us what we actually have already in Christ.  Irony.  We just won't receive it.

But today! At this moment!  I rejoice.  I can dance.  I have all I need in Christ... and so much more.  Isn't He lovely?

©Lydia D. Crouch 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment