Tuesday, June 9, 2015

grumble = stumble...

I Cor 10:-13 And do not grumble, as some of them did—and were killed by the destroying angel.
 
11These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the culmination of the ages has come. 12So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! 13No temptationc has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be temptedd beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted,e he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

If ever I wanted to grumble it would be this morning.  I am tempted to grumble.

I never saw the connection to this before.  Between grumbling and temptation.  I always applied these verses to my pet temptations.  You know the ones... The ones that would make me feel better if I overcame.  But God was talking specifically here about sexual immoraltiy... and grumbling.

Sexual immorality is something God takes VERY seriously.

Personally, I've not become tempted to "do" immorality, but tempted to accept it.  I prove this every time I watch a show and excuse it because I'm enticed by the story and I want to watch it.  I justify and say, "Well, they aren't Christians so... "  and I pretend it doesn't bother God.  Or that it doesn't affect me.

Oddly, I've noticed that I am particularly grumpy after watching those shows... grumbly.

Comparison is what makes me grumble most.

So... there's something here I need to look at.  

      Who do I compare myself to?  That anorexic, immoral, airbrushed, musically enhanced, specially lighted actress?  hmmm...  Oh and she's 20 years younger than me?  

    Why am I surprised when I try to measure up to fantasy that I find I don't measure up?

As I re-read this, I'm remembering verses I read back in junior high days.

Prov 20: 22Do not say, "I will repay evil"; Wait for the LORD, and He will save you. 23Differing weights are an abomination to the LORD, And a false scale is not good. 24Man's steps are ordained by the LORD, How then can man understand his way?…

And, when I was looking this up, there was also this one:

Hosea 12: 6Therefore, return to your God, Observe kindness and justice, And wait for your God continually. 7A merchant, in whose hands are false balances, He loves to oppress. 8And Ephraim said, "Surely I have become rich, I have found wealth for myself; In all my labors they will find in me No iniquity, which would be sin."…

I never - ever - noticed that connection.  Dishonest scales are in direct opposition to waiting on God.  One of my hugest temptations is comparison and envy...  No temptationc has overtaken you except what is common to mankind.   But the way out is waiting on God!

And God is faithful; he will not let you be temptedd beyond what you can bear.

NOTICE:

God did not say
"he will not let you be tempted"

He said
" he will not let you be temptedd beyond what you can bear"

So temptation is a given.  Temptation was there even before sin.  Temptation is oddly an affirmation of my free will.   Without it, where's the choice?

But when (not if,WHEN) you are tempted,e he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

I am tempted to grumble, but GOD IS FAITHFUL.  I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  I have an off button on my remote.  I have meaningful work to do.  I have friends who I can actually trust not to double cross me.  I have a husband who comes home to me.  I have empty canvases to fill.  My husband has a job.  My children love Christ and are honest.  I get to blog.  I even get to choose how I will spend my day.   

I choose to wait on Him, even if 3 minutes ago I blew it.  I can choose to let that choice be the springboard for my changed life - the thing that makes me jump into the arms of the one who waits for me even as I wait for Him.  Ironically just like Him, eh?

  
 Love this song:  Sums it all up  Hungry

Lyrics:

"Hungry (Falling On My Knees)

Hungry I come to You
For I know You satisfy
I am empty but I know
Your love does not run dry
So I wait for You
So I wait for You

I'm falling on my knees
Offering all my needs
Jesus You're all
This heart is living for

Broken I run to You
For Your arms are open wide
I am weary but I know Your touch
Restores my life
So I wait for You
So I wait for You

No comments:

Post a Comment